Homeless Samaritan will get cash; couple under investigation

Homeless Samaritan will get cash; couple under investigation

Homeless Samaritan will get cash; couple under investigation

Authorities executed a search warrant at the New Jersey home of a couple who raised $400,000 online for a homeless Good Samaritan who now claims they mismanaged the cash.

Bobbitt's lawyers filed a civil lawsuit last month against Kate McClure and Mark D'Amico alleging they cut him off from the money. Authorities were reportedly seen removing bags of items from the residence.

The Burlington County Prosecutors Office has since confirmed the search was related to allegations levied against the couple by a homeless vet.

The Courier-Post of Cherry Hill reports Florence police were at the home of Katelyn McClure and Mark D'Amico on Thursday morning.

The couple, in a statement through their attorney, said they gave Bobbitt $200,000. McClure and D'Amico said they hoped the money would buy Bobbitt, among other things, his own home and his "dream" truck: a 1999 Ford Ranger.

The allegations were used as a basis for obtaining the search warrant, which generally requires a lesser standard of proof than an arrest warrant. Bobbitt met with a financial adviser but never had access to the money or signed paperwork for a trust, according to the Inquirer.

McClure and D'Amico are expected to testify in court on Monday.

The judge said that what happened to some of the funds "lacks clarity" and that she needed to hear from the couple themselves.

Читайте также: Woods ties course record under pressure from rampant McIlroy

Earlier this week, a lawyer representing Johnny Bobbitt said that all of the money raised through the page was gone. Citing everything from disputes over Bobbitt's behavior to concern for lifestyle choices, the couple withheld money from the campaign.

According to Philadelphia's WTXF-TV, Bobbitt is in a 30-day treatment program.

For months, it seemed that everything had gone as planned. but in April the Philadelphia Inquirer ran an article that hinted at discord between Bobbitt and his would-be benefactors, and on August 23 the newspaper revealed that Bobbitt was homeless again and that McClure and D'Amico had refused to give him a significant chunk of the money.

After starting the fundraising campaign a year ago, Ms McClure said she did not have enough money to pay Mr Bobbitt back for $20 worth of fuel he bought her, but she returned to the spot where he begged in the days afterwards, giving him cash, clothing and food.

"Johnny did not ask me for a dollar, and I couldn't repay him at that moment because I didn't have any cash, but I have been stopping by his spot for the past few weeks", McClure wrote on GoFundMe. With the help of pro-bono lawyers, he took his case to court and claimed he'd received about $US75,000 that he spent on a camper, an SUV, and gifts to friends and family.

"While we assist law enforcement with their ongoing investigation, GoFundMe is also working with Johnny's legal team to ensure he's receiving support while the remaining funds are being recovered", Bobby Whithorne said in a statement.

Initially, GoFundMe gave Bobbitt $20,000 so that he wasn't penniless while the details of the case were emerging. The campaign was established to aid the homeless man whose story of helping a stranded motorist in Philadelphia inspired thousands of people to contribute.

While the police investigation plays out, GoFundMe has set aside $20,000 in an account to help the homeless man, Whithorne added.

При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2018 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.

Код для вставки в блог

Related news